Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Forward Observer Info

Looking for Forward observer information? If you are looking for forward observer information, let me explain why I entitled this blog as I did.

I try to observe the human condition, especially the American condition from the safe cover of my fox hole; the first amendment. So, I look ahead to see what’s coming at us, by observing events that are happening all around us. Some of these are serious, some humorous, some don’t require telling at all, but something about them compels me.

I’ve included info in this blog pertaining to my military experiences such as fox hole construction, boot shining, rank structure, vehicles, weapons and such to hopefully satisfy those of you who are looking for forward observer information.

If I remember correctly, one of our common tasks was to be able to call for, and adjust artillery fire on enemy targets. It was a simple matter of sending a target grid coordinate, then observing where the first round landed, telling the artillery (via radio) which way to adjust their muzzles: left, right, up, down and what distance to make the adjustments. I’m not sure how this was done, I cant remember. Any way this was the basic function of the forward observer. Another function was to make observations of enemy activities. There was a word: SALUTE that we used as a guide for reporting this information.

S: Size Number of people observed
A: Activity What are they doing
L: Location Grid coordinates
U: Unit insignia, patches, vehicle markings
T: Time What time did you make the observations
E: Equipment Weapons, vehicles, medical, generators, communication

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home